Tutorials | How to clear your AutoComplete History
What is AutoComplete ?
AutoComplete is a feature offered by many browsers to keep track of information that you have recently typed, such as website address, and form information (like login forms). Its purpose is to try and anticipate what you are typing so that it can provide you with possible matches and thus save you time.
Internet Explorer Users
- Left click Start, then Settings, then Control Panel.
- Double left click the Internet Options icon. The Internet Properties window will open.
- Left click the Content tab.
- Left click the AutoComplete button.
- Now click the Clear Forms button. This will remove all form data stored except for passwords.
If you use the Clear Passwords button you will find that you will need to enter your password in forms (such as login forms) and that Internet Explorer will no longer be able to pre-fill those items for you. Because of this it is not recommended to use this button unless you have an explicit need to do so.
If you decide that you no longer wish for Internet Explorer to use its autocomplete functionality you can stop this by unticking any of the checkboxes in this window. Should you change your mind you can turn this functionality back on by simply reticking the checkbox(es).
Mozilla Firefox Users
- Open your Firefox browser.
- Left click from the top toolbar Tools and then Options. The Options window will then load.
- Then left click the Privacy icon from the left pane of the Options window.
- From the right pane click the Clear button next to "Saved Form Information".
If you decide that you no longer wish for Firefox to use its autocomplete functionality in the Search bar you can stop this by clicking on the plus sign next to "Saved Form Information". Then untick the checkbox entitled "Save information I enter in web page forms and the Search Bar". Should you change your mind you can turn this functionality back on by simply reticking this checkbox.
Please Note: if you have any questions about this tutorial please ask on our support forums
If you have written a tutorial of your own and would like to have it here on Cyber Tech Help all you have to do is Submit your tutorial and it will be reviewed by the Administrator.